Support HB3250! STAR Voting 4 Oregon
We are excited to announce that Representative Zach Hudson, Chief Petitioner of STAR Voting for Troutdale, and former Troutdale, OR City Councilor, has submitted our proposal for a 'STAR Voting for Oregon' bill in the Oregon legislature.
House Bill 3250: "Establishes STAR voting as voting method for selecting winner of nomination for and election to state offices."
See our press release.
What it does:
- Establishes STAR as the default voting method for the State of Oregon.
- Allows local elections to use STAR Voting.
- Allows Bloc STAR for multi-winner elections.
- Eliminates primaries for non-partisan races.
We are reaching out to representatives and senators to sign on to support the next incarnation of this bill in upcoming legislative sessions. While this bill was not heard during the 2021 long session, it was the subject of much discussion and interest and represents a win-win for Oregon voters and legislators.
Join our email list to stay in the loop!
Current Action Items:
Email Senator Jeff Golden and Representative Dan Rayfield and ask them to support STAR Voting! Feel free to use the template below or create your own. To: [email protected] and [email protected]
"Hello Senator Golden and Representative Rayfield,
Thank you for working toward voting reform in Oregon. This is a moment in history when we can enact foundational change, and we owe it to the voters to get this right. Many people across Oregon have been working to raise awareness around STAR Voting. STAR is the culmination of decades of voting reform activism and election science research and it goes significantly further than previous proposals to deliver on our goals while addressing real and important concerns with both the current system and also with methods like IRV, which ignores ballot data and can skew results. Please help us bring the voting reform movement together and help us lead on this issue.
- Email Senator Jeff Golden and Representative Dan Rayfield and ask them to support STAR Voting! Feel free to use the template below or create your own. To: [email protected] and [email protected]
- Email your own Oregon legislator and senator and let them know why STAR voting is important to you and ask them to endorse bill HB 3250 for STAR voting and bill HB 3241 to establish a task force on voting methods. Find your state representatives here.
- Click the link here to download a pdf of the image below. Please include this image as an attachment to your email or download the jpg below to include it inline in your email testimony.
Related and Competing Legislative Bills
The 2021 Legislative Session introduced are a number of bills which impact voting reform. Some of these bills would help facilitate the adoption of STAR, some would compete with or have the potential to derail the adoption of STAR Voting. Some would adopt other alternative voting methods, such as Ranked Choice or Approval Voting. Here were our recommendations for those bills (download a pdf copy here):
Do you like this page?