Support HB3250! STAR Voting 4 Oregon
We are excited to announce that Representative Zach Hudson, Chief Petitioner of STAR Voting for Troutdale, and former Troutdale, OR City Councilor, has submitted our proposal for a 'STAR Voting for Oregon' bill in the Oregon legislature.
House Bill 3250: "Establishes STAR voting as voting method for selecting winner of nomination for and election to state offices."
See our press release.
What it does:
- Establishes STAR as the default voting method for the State of Oregon.
- Allows local elections to use STAR Voting.
- Allows Bloc STAR for multi-winner elections.
- Eliminates primaries for non-partisan races.
We are reaching out to representatives and senators to sign on. This bill is on track to be heard during the upcoming long session.
- Join our email list to stay in the loop!
- Join our Legislative Outreach Committee! We meet (at least) every other week on Zoom, Tuesdays at 6pm. See our events page for meeting links.
- Help us get endorsements and signers!
- Track our progress here.
Current Action Items:
Email Senator Jeff Golden of the Oregon Senate to amend his SB 343 bill on election reform to include STAR Voting. Feel free to use the template below or create your own. To: [email protected]
"Hello Senator Golden,
Thank you for working toward voting reform in Oregon. It is imperative at this moment that we make the best voting reform possible for Oregon. Please add STAR Voting to your bill. Many people across Oregon have been working to spread the word that STAR Voting is the most recent evolution in voting methods. STAR is the culmination of decades of voting reform activism and election science research. The 2014 Equal Vote Conference at the University of Oregon was a gathering of all the great minds in election science and it is where the concept of STAR voting was formed. When we come together we can hatch new hybrid ideas that solve the problems of former concepts. Please amend the bill and add STAR Voting.
- Email Senator Jeff Golden of the Oregon Senate to amend his SB 343 bill on election reform to include STAR Voting. Feel free to use the template below or create your own. To: [email protected]
- Email your own Oregon legislator and senator and let them know why STAR voting is important to you and ask them to endorse bill HB 3250 for STAR voting and bill HB 3241 to establish a task force on voting methods. Find your state representatives here.
- Click the link here to download a pdf of the image below. Please include this image as an attachment to your email or download the jpg below to include it inline in your email testimony.
Related and Competing Legislative Bills
There are a number of bills currently in the Oregon legislature which impact voting reform. Some of these bills would help facilitate the adoption of STAR, some would compete with or have the potential to derail the adoption of STAR Voting. Some would adopt other alternative voting methods, such as Ranked Choice or Approval Voting. Here are our recommendations for those bills (download a pdf copy here):
Do you like this page?